Solid Safety Covers
The Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover is the single most effective physical barrier to prevent child drowning and to secure a pool.
Importantly, there are no fiddly hooks and eyelets, making the cover quick and easy to use. Mothers love the fact that no brute force is required!
This blend of simplicity of design, coupled with practical and user-friendly fastening systems are what make this cover the desirable choice over other pool safety systems on the market.
Benefits of the Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover
Simplicity of design and ease of use: the Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover is designed in such a way that it can simply and quickly be taken on or off the pool. Supported across the pool by aluminium battens that are secured within the PVC cover, one end is anchored into place with removable anchor bolts. The opposite end has corresponding ratchets which allow the cover to be tightened.
Drainage system: a common drawback with first generation PVC covers is that rain or sprinkler water can collect on top of the solid cover, forming a small pool that curious toddlers may be tempted to play in. Our second generation Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover features drainage holes to eliminate this risk.
Strong and durable: the cover can bear the weight of two adults and one child without any damage or risk to the cover or child.
Childproof Locking System: a lockable strapping system makes it difficult for a small child to tamper with or attempt to release the cover.
Aesthetics: aside from peace of mind, the cover looks great too. Colour choices of blue, black, green, grey, brown or beige allow it to match the overall feel of the outdoor living area.
Materials: made from 550—600 grams per sq meter PVC, aluminium battens and industrial strength ratchets in stainless steel.
Who should use a Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover?
Every pool owner, regardless of whether or not they have children, should have a pool protected by a POOL SENTINEL Solid Safety Cover – from residential homes, gated communities and golf estates to hotels, Bed ‘n Breakfasts, resorts and community pools.
Despite a Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover being a prerequisite for the young family, this cover will be used each winter even when children are older as a pool accessory to reduce the amount of money spent on pool upkeep, e.g. water, chemical and power usage. And when, later in life, there are grandchildren and the safety thereof to be considered, the Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover will again come into its own as a safety device as well as a household savings aid. In short, the Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover can be applied for numerous reasons, whatever the age or season.
Layers of Safety
- Adding layers of safety is the process of adding two or three elements of safety to a pool at all times to prevent child drowning.
- Common layers include pool nets, pool covers, pool fences and self latching gates, and pool alarms.
- A traditional solid PVC pool cover with hooks and eyelets is not a safety cover; this is different from the Pool Sentinel Solid Safety
- Cover in looks and design as well as its safety features.
- The Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover is the most effective barrier as it seals off the pool and prohibits all access to the water.
- However, still the best method is that of responsible adult supervision.
- See the video on the front cover of this web site to view this innovative cover.
Reduce pool upkeep and associated costs with the Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover
Many pool owners don’t realise that a pool secured with a solid cover allows for not only peace of mind but significant household savings too.
Whereas a pool net or pool fence (popular child safety devices around a pool) still leave pool water exposed to the natural elements (sun, wind, rain), our Solid Safety Cover forms a impenetrable barrier over the water.
This results in:
- Child Safety: two adults and a child can safely walk across the cover.
- Power savings: cleaner water requires less filtering and backwashing, which amounts to significant power savings. Filtration is still required for aeration and eradicating minor impurities but pump time can be halved. In an average domestic pool, the pool pump consumes 12% of the household’s electricity. The Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover reduces this to 6%.
- Water savings: reduced evaporation losses (up to 90% less) means less water input to maintain optimum levels.
- Chemical savings: under a Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover, algae growth is reduced, allowing for less chemical input without compromising water hygiene.
- Reduced debris contamination: this cover prevents dirt, droppings and leaves from entering the pool water – the water aesthetics and hygiene are greatly improved.
- Winter solution: the reduced upkeep and savings make the Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover a savvy solution for closing a pool in winter months or when not in use for long periods. Why spend money maintaining your pool when it is not in use? When opening the pool for summer, the pool is clean, clear and swim-ready with little effort.
Warranty and Expectations
- The Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover can be expected to last for in excess of 5 years with the correct care and maintenance.
- The cover material and straps will incur greater wear and tear and require replacing around this 5 year time frame. The ratchets and poles are likely to be an investment for a much longer time frame. Pool Sentinel Pool Covers guarantee the cover for one year (12 months).
- Because the cover is used primarily for child drowning prevention, it is of utmost importance to care for the cover correctly. If you notice a weakening of the cover’s components or small tears appearing in the PVC, please tend to the matter immediately and contact us about a repair service.
- The material and components are all good for purpose in the sun and in chlorine type conditions around a pool.
Pool Safety Legislation
- South Africa is soon to pass new pool safety legislation, making it mandatory for all pools to be secured for children via approved safety devices. Among the legislation’s approved standards is the Pool Sentinel Solid Safety Cover.
- Therefore, if you have to add safety to your pool, opt for the approved solution that goes well beyond just drowning prevention – a cover that curbs evaporation (saves water), reduces filtration times (saves power) and keeps the water debris free and hygienic (and saves chemicals).
- Pool owners will have a window period in which to secure pools and then register with the Municipality. Non-compliance will carry a fine and repeat offenders can face a jail term. Municipal officials will inspect properties to ensure compliance.
Pool with Solar Blanket and wind up station also fitted with a Solid Safety Cover